The "Extra Mile"......

I've come to realize....."In training, when you go the extra mile, it's a lonely place....there aren't many people there."

I'm going.....are you coming with me?

Friday, May 22, 2009

It's Been a Good Month....

It's been awhile...I know....

Training has been very good for me this month. I can say confidently that I am happy with what I have been able to do in terms of intensity and volume....across all three disciplines. With today being May 22nd, I've completed 19 days of training of the 22 available...with only 3 days off. This includes 10 swim training sessions, 12 bike sessions, and 9 run training sessions. It also includes 9 strength training sessions and 8 core/abs workouts. Totals are as follows: 15,300 yards swimming, 204 miles biking, and 42 miles running. I know these aren't outstanding totals per discipline but they represent a significant increase for me over the norm. The best news is...I've stayed healthy...injury free (and I'm knocking on wood as I write this).

I am most proud of my accomplishments in the pool. I'm swimming 5oo yard sets...usually 3 sets per workout...all in the range of 8:45 to 9:00 mins. This is a significant improvement for me. My 100 yard repeats are coming in at the 1:38 to 1:40 mark...and that's with doing 6-8 repeats on 2 minutes. Good progress and I really attribute it to the 2 weeks I spent really doing nothing but drills.

Two new things to write about...first off, I made the investment to upgrade my wheels. I purchased a Zipp 1080 for the front of the bike and ordered disc wheel covers for the rear. Everything is installed and I had the opportunity to test it today. No doubt, I gained some speed. I'm looking forward to hopefully transferring this over to event performance as a means to better my bike split. Nothing will make me faster, however, than improving the engine...and that's what I'm training to do! Secondly, I signed up kind of last minute for the Swing Into Spring Duathlon to take place this Sunday. It's a short event...a 2 mile run, to a 12 mile bike, to another 2 mile run. I'll use it as a good workout and a tune-up for upcoming events. I'm not changing my planned training schedule because of the event...Sunday was going to be an intense day of training anyway! This should be fun!

That's all for now...I look forward to providing an update after the duathlon this Sunday...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment