The "Extra Mile"......

I've come to realize....."In training, when you go the extra mile, it's a lonely place....there aren't many people there."

I'm going.....are you coming with me?

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I'm Back.....

Realizing I gave up on keeping this blog, and went several months without writing. No excuse...but...no time to explain. Let's just say life has changed significantly! Changes are good...in time.

I've trained consistently since my last entry. I can summarize it all but, let's face it, no one really cares!

Let me play catch up by stating that I have continued to train, I've stayed healthy, and I've maintained my weight between 172 and 176 lbs. My hip has managed to hang in there...some good days, some not so good days....but most of the time I am content.

So here we go....

Yesterday was a very nice training day. I completed a strength training session for my upper body, did 30 minutes of core work and stretching, and completed a 4 mile tempo run. I was excited with my run as I went 28 mins 29 secs for the 4 miles. That put me at about a 7:07 minute per mile pace. I think, with an all out effort, I could hang on to a flat 7 min/mile pace for the distance. Hip felt good...no pain...some tightness. I like a 4 mile distance for my once a week tempo run because it makes my 3 mile and 5k runs seem a little easier. I am anxious to do a benchmark test in the coming days for a 3 mile all out effort. I am hoping to go 20 min 30 secs this next test. My goal is to go 19:59 by March 1st!

Today, I did more strength training (chest, lats, and triceps), core work, balance exercises, and a 1 mile easy run just to stay loose. I followed the run with a good stretching session and then hit the pool for a short swim session. I am ashamed to say this was my first time in the water since the IowaMan Triathlon in September. I "played" in the water for about 30 minutes and managed about 600 yards of actual swimming. I have a long ways to go...but I'm hopeful it will come back quickly. I plan to swim 3 times per week leading up to the QC Tri in mid-June.

I've established my event schedule and goals for this coming season. I'll post that info tomorrow, time permitting. I'm a believer of setting challenging goals and making them public. It helps from an accountability stand-point. Provided I stay healthy, I'm going to be significantly faster this season. I expect my run times to be much faster than last season. My hip is tolerating the training and I've found success in running indoors this winter. The indoor running track at Bettendorf Life Fitness Center is allowing me to run train all winter long. In previous years, I didn't do much running in the winter....as my hip wouldn't tolerate the cold and slippery surfaces. I am way ahead already!

Ok...I'm committed to doing my best to keep up on this blog! It's been a long time but...I'm still the same "never give up" guy. I'm 44 years old, I've had 3 reconstructive surgeries on my left hip (including total hip replacement, twice), and my best training and racing is yet to come!

Thanks for reading...and remember....It's not over until I say it's over!

TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment