The "Extra Mile"......

I've come to realize....."In training, when you go the extra mile, it's a lonely place....there aren't many people there."

I'm going.....are you coming with me?

Friday, August 13, 2010

DeWitt Crossroads Triathlon - Coming Home

On Saturday, August 7th, I drove back home to DeWitt to race in the Crossroads Sprint Triathlon. I had not competed in this event in the past but had heard it was very well done. I was excited to compete in my hometown! The race consisted of a 500 yard swim, a 15 mile point to point bike, and a 5k run. The swim was clearly closer to 600 yards (everyone commented on this)....many of the very good swimmers had a swim time very close to their times at the QC Tri (600 yard swim). No big deal...everyone races the same course right?!?

I arrived early to navigate the two different transition area locations. It didn't take long to meet up with my training partners Bryan and Jim. We got a bike warm-up in, did a short run, and then had just enough time to get in the water for a quick warm-up swim. The water temp was 77 degrees so we were able to wear wetsuits.

Men 40 and over started in wave 4...which was clearly the largest wave. It was a bit of a washing machine effort at the start but I managed to get some fairly clear water after about 100 yards. I had a really good swim in terms of improved sighting and avoiding the dreaded panic attack. I completed the swim in 11 minutes and 9 seconds. Jim got out of the water first in the 10 min 30 sec range, Bill Minard, myself, and Dave Burke came out together, and Bryan came out about 2o seconds after us. Transition was fairly smooth...considering all competitors had to put all of their swim gear into a plastic bag before heading out on the bike course. I got out of T1 after Jim but before Bill, Bryan, and Dave.

The bike course was pretty darn challenging! Some very good hills on this course and a decent headwind when we turned west for the 4-5 mile into town for T2. Bill passed me on the bike at mile 1 or 2....and then he was GONE. I couldn't catch Jim and actually lost ground to his 22 mph average speed. I did keep my spot ahead of Bryan (we both average right at 21 mph) and I stretched my lead slightly over Dave. I got into T2 in good shape...and actually thought I had held back just a bit in hopes of saving myself for a faster than usual run. T2 was smooth...in and out with no issues. My legs felt fairly good and after a quarter mile I hit a decent stride.

Bryan caught me right before mile 1...and then proceeded to smoke me good. He looked to be in great form and was moving at a pace I can only dream about. I finished my 5k run in 25 mins and change....which, honestly, was disappointing to me. The run course was absolutely flat and layed out nicely. I had a goal of running this in 24 minutes flat. Not to be :(

Overall, I felt like I had a very strong event. My finishing time was 1 hr 22 minutes and some odd number of seconds. This effort placed me 5th of 15 in my age category. As a point of reference, this event can be compared to the Hickory Grove Triathlon...which is the same distances with similiar challenges. Last year at this time I went 1 hr 29 mins and change at that event.

Congrats to Bill (1 hr 14 mins), Jim (1 hr 19 mins), and Bryan (1 hr and 20 mins)....very good times for all 3 of my training buddies!

I had the opportunity to see and talk with many old friends after the event! I will add the DeWitt Crossroads Triathlon to my list of "must do" events for next year.

Training this week has been very light. I took 3 days off in the middle of the week to take my Daughter and her good friend to Ohio for a fun day at Cedar Point Amusement park (roller coaster capital of the world). We had a great time...and I was glad to spend the time with her!

This weekend we head across the river for the Du State Duathlon. Run, then bike, then run again....oh no....no swim???? Wish me luck....clearly my running is not my strength!

I took some time this week to think about how fortunate I am to be able to swim, bike, and run. I've had to overcome a lot with my hip....especially since it wasn't rehabbed correctly after surgery. However, I continue to realize that I am Blessed to be able to do the things I do. Many, many people can't do these things. Even on my worse days....I need to remind myself of the good fortune in my life.

Enjoy what you CAN do....and don't take it for granted....

TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment