The "Extra Mile"......

I've come to realize....."In training, when you go the extra mile, it's a lonely place....there aren't many people there."

I'm going.....are you coming with me?

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Dead Legs....

Good bike workout yesterday! 45 minutes alternating between 3 minutes of hard effort and 4 minutes of recovery. I've spent a lot of time the past 3 weeks doing long aerobic rides....it felt good to spin up in a harder gear and push myself to go faster. Average speed for the intervals was around 26.6 mph, and I recovered at around 22 mph. Average speed for the entire 45 minute ride was 23.9 mph.

My legs are sluggish feeling today....kind of dead and a little sore. I've been thinking off and on all day about what would be a good training plan for today. I really do try to carefully plan my workouts to yield purposeful training...so, I'm leaning toward a 4 mile easy run with a HR range in the 145-150 range...easily aerobic and will provide some level of recovery. That will set me up for an aerobic bike and run day tomorrow, and a hard effort run on Saturday. The key is to keep things mixed up yet balanced between easy efforts and a few hard efforts. Of course, the most important consideration is how my hip feels....again, we take what we can get.

I refer to days like today as "blue collar" days. You know what I mean....those days that you just step up to the plate and log the miles. You train because you know you can make gains today...make progress....create a little adaptation to lead to just a little better fitness. You could take the day off....but you don't. We'll let someone else take the day off from training. Not me...nope...I'm going to makes some gains TODAY.

Are you coming?

TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment