The "Extra Mile"......

I've come to realize....."In training, when you go the extra mile, it's a lonely place....there aren't many people there."

I'm going.....are you coming with me?

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Pain, Pain Go Away.....

It's been a tough ride the past 10-12 days for your favorite "one hip" triathlete lol! I managed to train my way into severe hip inflammation and I had to back off running and biking considerably the past 10 days. During this time period leading up to Sunday, April 26th, I managed 2 rides on the trainer, 1 outdoor ride, 2 runs on the treadmill and one 2 mile run outside. Thankfully, the week leading up to this past Sunday was a scheduled week to taper. To taper is one thing...to nearly shut down is completely different. In any case, I knew I had to get control of my hip to have any chance to compete in our opening season event on Sunday the 26th....a sprint duathlon...2.25 mile run, 13 mile bike, and a 2 mile run.

I started taking my prescription anti-inflammatory meds on April 17th...hoping and praying it would "kick in" and eliminate the inflammation and pain. On Friday the 24th, I was still struggling and I gave serious consideration to withdrawing from the event. I was also feeling sluggish....since I was not able to train at even a level I would consider "tapering." Mentally I was struggling as well....I'll go ahead and say it....I was a bit depressed. Then came Saturday....

Saturday morning I woke up and something was different. As I layed in bed I noticed that I could move my hip joint around a bit without hearing and feeling the usual "popping" that I had been experiencing the previous 10-12 days. I got out of bed and started to walk...I walked the same way I had been walking first thing out of bed...limping on my left leg in anticipation of pain with each touch of the floor. One step, 2 steps, a 3rd step...wait a second....what are you hobblying around for? I didn't have pain...I was limping because I was EXPECTING pain! I started walking around like a guy with a pretty good left hip....no, I started walking around like I was an athlete ready to compete....no, not really true either...I started walking around like an elite endurance athlete ready to win! (I'm allowed to have positive thoughts right!?!)

I have to assume that it took a full week for the meds to really impact the inflammation. I'm glad I stuck with them because I have to tell you...a couple days into taking them I was ready to throw the pills away. I had a good day Saturday and woke up Sunday feeling good as well....ready to compete. My only problem now was thinking about my lack of training the past couple of weeks. I still felt a bit sluggish...like I had lost some cardio fitness. It didn't really matter though...I was so thankful that my hip felt decent.

I won't bore you with all of the details of the event...here are some bulleted highlights:
- 41 degrees, rain, sleet, very windy
- Long course cancelled, everyone competed on the short course
- Very hilly bike course...I mean VERY
- Because of the long course cancellation, we only had 3 minutes to warm up
- First run results = 2.25 mile run in 16:14, 7:11 min/mile pace
- Bike results = 45:36, 17.1 mph avg (course and conditions cost everyone 3-4 mph avg speed)
- Second run results = 2 mile run in 15:45, 7:53 min/mile pace
- Placed 6th of 16 in my age group, 2nd thru 5th place all were registered for the long course

Once we got started I really enjoyed the event. My run times are a great improvement over last season. As an example, for the only 2 mile run I've competed in I went 15:20, which is a 7:40 min/mile pace. I went 7:11 min/mile over 2.25 miles on Sunday. I'm now ready to look toward moving into a sub-7 minute per mile pace for these type of events.

I have 7 weeks to peak for my first "A" event...the Quads Cities Triathlon. I'm strong and highly motivated....my hip feels good...and I'm ready to train well leading into that event. You can count on a lot of swim training for me, and many miles on the bike outside.

I'll post again tomorrow with details of my training plan for the next several weeks.

Believe....believe in good thoughts...believe in your training.

Believe in yourself.

TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment