The "Extra Mile"......

I've come to realize....."In training, when you go the extra mile, it's a lonely place....there aren't many people there."

I'm going.....are you coming with me?

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Extra Mile

Training yesterday went well overall....3 mile fartlek run on the tready and immediately followed by a 40 minute bike ride. My hip felt tight...not sore...just stiff and I couldn't get into a good relaxed state during the run. Nonetheless, it felt good and was loosening up as the run concluded. My bike training was just what I wanted...totally held at the upper end of aerobic, with a HR around 135-140 for the entire 40 min ride.

Today, I'll focus back on the bike and take a day off of running. I want and expect a hard effort from an intensity perspective....so, I'll ride for 45 minutes with 2-3 minute high intensity intervals spaced between 4-5 minutes of recovery. The key will be to recover but not ease off too much. I'll be watching my HR closely and will only allow for a drop back down into the mid to upper range of my aerobic range. During the high intensity intervals, I expect to see a HR well above my lactate threshold...something in the 160-165 range. Sound good?

I'm continuing to trim into my targeted competition weight of 170-174 lbs. Typically, like most people, I gain 4-5 lbs over the Winter months and then drop it back off in the late Spring/early Summer. This year, I've decided to take a bit more of an aggressive approach to drop the weight earlier. At 6 foot 1 inch (ok, I'm stretching an extra half inch), and weighing on average 175 lbs, I find it critically important for my hip to maintain this build. I'm faster on my feet, faster on my bike, and my hip feels a lot better if I stay light. I'd ask others reading this...could you benefit by dropping even 5 lbs off your frame as a means to lighten the load on a sore joint or other body part? I'm telling you sincerely...I can REALLY feel the difference.

The weather stinks...it's cold and snowing outside...and some times it's hard to stay motivated. Come with me today...let's make today a good day for training and maintaining health and fitness. Today's a day to go the extra mile....you know the one....the extra mile that takes you to that place...the place where usually....NO ONE ELSE IS!

Make your training today YOUR advantage....

TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment