The "Extra Mile"......

I've come to realize....."In training, when you go the extra mile, it's a lonely place....there aren't many people there."

I'm going.....are you coming with me?

Friday, April 17, 2009

The Word is "Tough"

Quick update today....

I had a solid swim training session early yesterday...I spent most of my time working on drills to increase my balance in the water. I'm quickly gaining confidence back in my swimming in terms of cardio and endurance for my planned sprint Tri events. My issue has never been about speed and endurance in the pool...I can easily swim 600-800 yards nonstop and at a relatively quick pace. The problem has been in trying to convert that success over to an open water scenario. It's a comfort thing...it really is. I continue to have some level of panic in the open water...it makes breathing difficult and creates a continuous sense of fear and anxiety. I hear over and over again that it takes time and experience to overcome this. I accept the challenge and look forward to trimming significant time off my overall time by performing better in the water.

I had a good training ride yesterday...18 miles on the trainer at a 25.6 mph average speed. I've been doing a lot of interval work and shorter (13-15 mile) rides this Spring...it felt good to go a few extra miles. I can't wait for later today when I get the bike out on the open rode for my first "real" ride of the season. The guys at Healthy Habits are going to outfit my ride with a set of Zipp 404 aero rims for me to try out...I'm anxious to make the upgrade from what I currently have on my road bike.

This morning I knocked out a 4 mile run...all done at an easy pace...9:20 min/mile average. I'll take today off in terms of swim training, and jump on the bike in the late afternoon for a fairly aggressive outdoor ride.

I have a good friend that has suggested that I just go ahead and develop an actual web-site for this blog and some other ideas I have. Stay tuned in the future as I work to bring that to fruition.

I have a tough schedule of training this weekend. I like "tough"...it gives me that training "high" that I enjoy so much. Tough training sessions give me confidence....confidence that I still have that one significant advantage....a strong mind. Mental strength is critically important to the endurance athlete. If used correctly, it can minimize a physical challenge.

Mental strength allows you to reach down and find just a little bit more....a little more than the average competitor is willing to reach for.

TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment